Tuesday, June 30, 2009

With this ring...

Eight years ago to the day I was a woman on a mission. A desperate woman. A woman with visions of dresses and cakes dominating every waking thought and breath. I wanted to get engaged and get married. This was not out of the question since I already had the guy all picked out. But for once I was not in control or calling the shots. This was Hubs domain and he was taking his sweet time.
For those of you who don't know I picked Hubs up at a Walgreens. I saw him, wanted him, and left my phone number on his car. Tacky. yes. I would not recommend this strategy for finding a spouse. It worked for me but I might be the only success story. A year and a half later I was ready for happy ever after.
So he takes me to Gulf Shores for the weekend. My little heart is racing-this has to be it!! But me being me, I can't wait. I need confirmation. I drop hints. I hug him awkwardly and often feeling for that ring box. And then the ultimate in disgusting behavior. I search his luggage while he's indisposed. Nada. Zip. Zilch. I am crushed. Devastated. Inconsolable. But I can't let on that I've been searching or he would know how crazy I am. So I put on a brave face and we head to dinnner. Tha facade cracks and I cry during dinner. I mean come on, am I a catch or what? Who wouldn't propose?!
After dinner we stroll down the beach. Hubs is acting ner-vous but I ignore it. We're holding hands amd he let's go of my hand to switch his drink can. His claim-his hand was getting cold. Weird. Actually his thought was-What if this pocket has a hole and her engagement ring falls out? Wouldn't that suck? This is all too much for him and he steers me to a beach chair. He drops to one knee and says , "Will you be my wife?" That really is what he said, I'll remember it always. I'm sure my mouth dropped open while I scrambled for him and the ring.
The best part of the story-Hubs already knew I was crazy and loved me anyway. He knew I would search for the ring. He hid it in a pair of socks. Eight years later he still knows me. He knows I'm crazy, prone to crying, and that when I get hungry I am one cranky gal. And lucky me, he still loves me anyway.

4 comments:

Jamie said...

I love it - sweet post!

Amber B. said...

That is sweet! Gotta love those guys who can handle us. :-)

The Osborne Family said...

HA!! Jeremy drove in from SC for the weekend. He still had his bag in the car when he came to pick me up for our date. I searched Jeremy's luggage too--while he was in the gas station! I found nothing! I was CRUSHED! He knew me too well too! He acted WEIRD at dinner...so I knew what was up then!

countryfriedmama said...

Nothing exciting ever happens to me at Walgreens.