Thursday, December 11, 2008

She's bringing it back

Some of you have never heard of a dickie. Okay, maybe not the best way to start a post. Let me try again.
Some of you have never heard of the *mock* shirt called a dickie. Here is a perfect example. I have seen them and am ashamed to admit at some point in the 80's even wore them. But they were gone. The introduction of cami tanks guaranteed their extinction. Or so I thought.
Yesterday at school my boss had on a turtleneck under her T-shirt. But there were no sleeves. I was perplexed. I studied her ensemble for quite a while before deciding she must be wearing the base shirt of a twin set. But I'm a nosy nellie so I had to ask. "Is that a dickie?" I am sure there was a touch of disdain/incredulity in my tone. "Yes!", she proudly exclaims and proceeds to show me the updated version. It has armholes. Clever. Now, just to be clear I am not rushing out to buy any for me. But, I have to give her props for bringing it back.
I am however proposing a name change to "mockie". Please stay posted for a petition on this important matter.

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

I am disturbed by this. I can't say why, exactly.

Amber B. said...

For the love. Under a t-shirt? Sounds horrible enough on it's own, but under a t-shirt? {shudders}

Michele Morrow said...

I know you all may be shocked by this, but I actually never owned a dickie. Even back in the 80's, I was disturbed by this concept. I know that is surprising cnsidering most of my wardrobe back then. :)

Gigi said...

I have laughed so hard I had to excuse myself to go to the bathroom! Due to age or the blog -who knows?! Probably both! I do remember dickies and thought they had finally died their well deserved death. Looks like someone is into resuscitation! Some things are better left dead!